I made a 4th of July outfit a few days ago, but I wasn’t feeling it. It came out pretty nice, but I felt I could come up with something more festive for our Independence Day. So when I found these two plain white t-shirts on sale at the Goodwill the other day, I came up with a flash of inspiration for a refashion. Since they were on sale, they both cost $1.50. Tie-Dye, here I come!
I wanted to create some swirly designs with the colors, which is the closest that I know to making stars. So I twisted the fabric around and secured with elastic. Continue reading “Refashion Plain T-Shirts into a Tie-Dye 4th of July Dress”
I got out my skirt today that I upcycled a while ago, and I decided that I hated the hem. So today, I’m going to refashion my refashion. It’s not going to make it look significantly different, but it is going to help the waist. I’m going to teach you how to make a nice waistband, since I messed this one up so badly. Remember this skirt?
Well, the skirt has side ruffles in it, which completely messed up my hemming. See my bad job at sewing? 🙂 Continue reading “Refashioning a Skirt from a Dress, Part II”
I found this great dress at the Salvation Army and it was only $3. It was also brand new, with the tags, which said it was a bridal dress. I’m not so sure any bride would wear it … as it was definitely see through as well. Almost looked like a nightgown actually. But with a few refashions, it will be a daytime dress!
I’ve wanted to try dip dyeing for a while now, so I went out and bought some wine-colored RIT dye. Here we are in the bath. Continue reading “Refashioning a Dip Dyed Dress”
My daughter and I share one really annoying problem: we both can’t fit into any pants. She is 11 years old, and fits into a size 8 except for the length. Come summertime, this problem is generally easy to solve since I crop off all of her jeans and make them into shorts. (Adding length, on the other hand, is a real pain.) So for today’s project, I am going to show you how I refashioned a size 8 pair of pants into a pair of capris. This is more of a tutorial rather than a remake. I don’t own a serger machine, so I have to make do on a regular machine.
First step is to make them shorter. If you can see, these pants also had a bleach spot on them. The easiest way to hem any pants is to fold them in half and then fold one pant leg over where you want to hem, making sure to make the fold perpendicular to the existing hem, since pant legs tend to be slightly angled. Continue reading “Remaking Capris with a Lettuce Hem”